Helping Hands Monkey Helpers is a non-profit organization that helps adults with spinal cord injuries and other mobility impairments live more independent and engaged lives.
We do this by providing them, free of charge, with a unique service animal: a highly trained capuchin monkey to help with their daily tasks. The only organization of our kind, we raise and train these special service animals, carefully match them with appropriate recipients across the nation, and provide active support and care for the duration of each placement.
These animals bring more than just a willing set of nimble hands to their recipients. They also bring companionship, joy, and the renewed sense of purpose that comes from taking responsibility for the health and well-being of another creature. Our work encompasses all aspects of this service:
- We raise, train, and match the monkeys with carefully chosen recipients
- We provide extensive coaching and customized in-home training at the start of each placement
- We oversee each monkey’s lifelong behavioral, nutritional, and medical needs
- We provide ongoing active support and mentoring for every partnership
- We place retired monkeys in loving homes where they are well cared for